Looking Behind and Looking Ahead: 2021 and 202205 Mar 2022
Here it is: the annual retrospection for 2021.
I started writing this on January 6, 2022. And this was sitting in my drafts for almost 2 months. Don’t ask why.
Looking behind at 2021
2021 was Year 2 into the pandemic and Year 0.5 to 1.5 of my Ph.D. Here are some highlights:
- I was a teaching assistant for 3 classes: STAT 311 (Intro Stats), STAT 435 (Undegrad Machine Learning), and STAT 512 (Grad Stats Inference). All of those classes were a blast to teach!
- I started working on two different projects with two different professors. Both of them are super exciting!
- I started taking singing lessons.
- I spent the summer working remotely for Microsoft in the Mixed Reality Object Understanding team. I developed an application to annotate object-poses.
- I moved into an apartment of my own.
- I attended my first Western wedding.
- I bought a PS4 and picked up gaming again.
- I signed an offer to return as a Data Scientist intern at Microsoft in the Xbox Product Services team.
Looking at the numbers
- Number of goals that I set out to achieve: 5
Number of goals that I completed: 1
- Emails sent: 374
- Emails received: > 3795
Papers read: 58 (+26 from 2020)
- Books read: 6 (-4 from 2020)
- Books in progress: 1
- Favorite fiction: The Eye of the World
Favorite non-fiction: How to avoid a climate disaster
- Favorite music album: Equals
- Favorite song: Where You Are by Patrick Droney
- Favorite movies: No Time to Die, Spiderman: No Way Home
Favorite TV show: Lucifer
- Video games finished: 3 (-1 from 2020)
- Video games in progress: 3
Favorite video game: Uncharted: A Thief’s End
- Concerts attended: 0 (-2 from 2020)
Theatrical performances attended: 0 (-5 from 2020)
- Miles run: 122.72
- Miles biked: 0
- Hikes: 7
- Favorite hike: Snow lake
- 14ers completed: 0
Total 14ers completed: 1
- States visited: WA, CO, IL, IN, KY, TN (+4 new)
- Total states visited: 14
- Countries visited: 0
- Total countries visited: 3
Looking ahead at 2022
There are some exciting things happening in 2022 for me:
- Prelims in June. Once I pass this, I will become a Ph.D. candidate.
- Data science internship at Microsoft. I just learned that this will be in person.
Going forward, I intend to do more of less. In the past, I’ve generally been very distracted in terms of what I want to do. I had hoped that by doing more things, I would be able to figure out what I liked. Turns out I find a lot of things interesting and it is hard for me to say “No” when a new opportunity pops up. I end up having a lot of things on my plate and become stretched too thin.
To that end, I am going to impose a limit on how much I will do and stop testing the limits of how much I can do. The upper bound on the number of things I will be involved in at any point in time is 5. This 5 will be distributed between research projects, classes, teaching, and other obligations. Currently (March 2022) it is at 5. I anticipate it will stay at 5 until the end of this academic year. Ideally I would like to bring it down to 4.
Some other fun things I want to do this year:
- Work on more (side) projects
- Read more fantasy
- Play more music (or even try writing music)
- Play more video games
- Run a half marathon (I’ve been wanting to do this 2 years now)